Sunday, May 5, 2013

Once Upon A Time 2x21





















OVERALL: 8/10

PLOT SUMMARY
Emma and her family search for Regina when they discovered her missing. Emma's suspicion of Tamara is proven true while Mary Margaret is determined to ease her guilt towards Regina and reduce the darkness in her heart. Greg finally discovered his father's whereabouts and Neil's stay at Storybrooke is forcefully shortened.

Meanwhile, Neil's journey through the bean portal is revealed. And despite leaving his homeworld to rid himself off magic, he soon discovered that detaching himself from magic is not that simple. In order to save the family that adopted him, he offered himself to Neverland, a land where he met Hook.

THE GOOD
"Sorry Mate, I have to say no"
Hook proves he isn't an easy one to work with and I was afraid he was going to be Greg and Tamara's errand boy.






Lizzie Discovered Magic 
It's about time. Imagine the catastrophic events Rumplestiltskin would cause with Evil Belle egging him on from behind. Lizzie also seems to be having ulterior motives for being with Rumple. Erhmmagicerhm. 




I Feel Your Pain
It's spectacular to see Mary Margaret having an emotional connection with Regina even though it's artificial. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the whole situation ironic and fun to watch.




The Shadow 
Storybrooke is not the first outside creature to invade our world. If creatures from Neverland are able to enter, makes you wonder about other possible creatures from other -lands, doesn't it?




Neil in Neverland 
I've always wondered how Neil ended up with Emma. He should be much older than her, considering the timeline. This explains everything. His meeting with Hook and Neverland showed several more untold stories that I can't wait to hear.



Girl Fight!
Finally some physical action. While I welcome the use of magic in fights, it certainly quickens my heartbeat when hands are used to punch rather than make fire.





Neil Gone Again 
His departure makes it easier for Rumple to get rid of Henry. Emma will also be emotionally hurt to see her love gone, again. I certainly hope that will push her a little to the dark side and make her use of her greatest weapon when dealing with the likes of Tamara -- magic.



Total Destruction of Storybrooke 
I said previously that I don't like the sudden introduction of a trigger. And I still stand by it. But seeing the fact that the bad guys are using it now and it forces two opposing groups to co-operate, I might have a change of heart. The destruction of Storybrooke would make an epic season finale. Although it leaves us wondering what's next for the people of Storybrooke.


THE BAD
Greg's Sad Moment
This is a weak attempt at adding dimension to Greg's character. While I understand his motive, I find it hard to sympathize with him. Honestly, I would prefer Greg to be just Greg, a stranger with no previous emotional attachment to Storybrooke.




Efficient Home Office 
While I like the idea of an organisation that's anti-magic, I question their efficiency. They are too efficient and seems to know a lot about magic. How did they analyse the trigger so quickly and to find out what it actually does to the specifics is something I find hard to believe. Didn't Regina said that "magic in this world is different"?


Finding Regina
I highly doubt there's no better way to locate Regina. Why couldn't they ask for a more direct way to find her? I'm sure the 'pouring a magic liquid' onto Regina's belonging (like they did to find Mad Hatter) would be a much better choice.




PERSON OF THE HOUR



Michael Raymond-James as Baelfire/Neil Cassidy. 
He has that playful air around him, that childlike aura that he just seem to emit through his actions. And it works with portraying Neil's character. Michael was able to show how hurt Neil was about his father neglecting him for Lizzie without appearing too needy. Neil is a rather complex character to play, a man struggling with hate and love, reality and facades. Yet, despite all the emotions and situations he's being put through, you can still see that childlike attitude in him, that playfulness that Michael retains throughout the episode. His performance enhances the whole experience of watching the show and I'm sure we will see more of him despite the seemingly hopeless situation he's in at the end of the episode.

WELL...
I think this is one of the best OUAT episodes I've watched. It's filled with action, plot-twists and revelations while at the same time giving us more questions to ask. I especially enjoyed the way the story is going. The destruction of Storybrooke and outsiders finding out about the magical town are things that are bound to happen sooner or later. To have both occurring at the same time is perfect.

Personally, I like the fact that they make Tamara and Greg out to be members of a religious-esque club, thinking they are doing the world a favour by protecting it from magic.

I also have to praise the song composers for this episode. The melody that plays with Tamara and Greg revealing their organisation and agenda was breathtaking and adds several layers of excitement into the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment